1. Grocery stores sell VERY large chickens. I wonder if you can buy dresses for them, too?
2. There is no “tooting” near national monuments.
3. While driving on a major highway you may find yourself on a single lane bridge with train tracks running down the middle and you are giving way (yielding) to a train! (thanks for the reminder Sharon)
4. Taking a tramp in the bush means taking a hike in the woods/forest.
5. On the North Island, grazing sheep run frightened from cars that drive by their fenced in pastures.
6. Visiting the Galapagos Islands and standing a couple feet from the animals has ruined all other animal encounters.
7. When a brochure says an activity is appropriate “for most agile people,” they really mean you better be able to run a marathon, scale a mountain and walk on water in order to participate.
8. If you are barefooted in the supermarket, no one thinks twice about it.
9. New Zealand has 2 of only 3 glaciers in the world that are located in a rainforest (the other is in Patagonia).
10. Heaps = a lot. For example, New Zealand has heaps of nice people.
11. Tip Top is the best ice cream ever! Favorites are Passion Fruit and Gooey Gooey Gum Drop.
12. Sand flies at Milford Sound are vicious.
13. 70 year old New Zealand’ers rent Wicked Vans to travel in, too (they were given an AC/DC van and had to ask someone at the motor camp to play the band on their iPod because they had no idea who the band was).
14. Roads are straighter on the South Island.
15. New Zealand just maybe the most beautiful country in the world!